Steel & Oak is excited to announce its partnership with My Artists Corner for our second community group exhibition. My Artists Corner is a New Westminster based organization that supports artists with diverse mental health issues. In order to generate dialogue surrounding mental health, and to advocate towards ending mental health stigma, our theme of our exhibition will be Mental Health and Wellness. The theme is up to your creative interpretation, but you must draw inspiration from it.
All visual artists, established or emerging, from the lower mainland are encouraged to submit to Steel & Oak’s new community arts program.
Steel & Oak wishes to highlight how diverse our community is. In order to break down any exclusionary barriers and create a platform for marginalized voices, artists on the LGBTQA spectrum, non-binary artists, artists of colour, and artists with disabilities, are strongly encouraged to submit.
Submissions will be received up to 12:00pm (noon) on:
Friday December 7, 2018
- To apply to this Call for Artists you must be someone who creates art (including, but not limited to: painting, digitized art, visual poetry, mixed media, photography, drawing, printmaking, etc.)
- Artwork must fit into the theme of Mental Health and Wellness.
- The gallery at Steel & Oak does not charge exhibiting artists to display their works. We strongly encourage artists to provide their contact information for interested buyers. Steel & Oak will not deduct any percentage of the sales of artwork from the artist.
- Unfortunately, due to the size and nature of our gallery space, we are unable to accept any sculptures or installation art. Please only submit 2D, and/or ready wall-mounted 3D works.
- Selected works should be no larger than 30” x 30” (frame included) and we strongly encourage submission of smaller works.
- Attach to email no more than 5 images of your work (.jpg format- 300 dpi, no more
than a total of 5MB).
- Should you be submitting more than one work for consideration, please provide only 2-3 images of each work.
- Proposed artwork must include title, material(s), dimensions, and date
- A short bio (75 words max)
- An artist statement that provides an introduction to your practice and artworks submitted (150 words max)
- Selected artists are responsible for delivery of their works to and from the gallery at Steel & Oak.
- Artwork must be ready to display (ready-mounted or framed)
- Artwork must be available to be displayed for the durations of 3 months.
All submissions must be in pdf format and emailed to email@example.com by December 7 at noon. Artists will be notified no later than August 15th if their submission has been successful.
Should you have any questions regarding the gallery or your application, please direct them to the Arts Programmer, Heather Prost at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the community arts program at Steel & Oak please visit our blog at: https://steelandoak.ca/2018/07/so-art-program/