CALL FOR ARTISTS
The community gallery at Steel & Oak is seeking works from emerging artists based on the lower mainland for the Winter 2019 / Spring 2020 terms. Artists are encouraged to submit an exhibition proposal.
Steel & Oak wishes to highlight how diverse our community is. In order to break down any exclusionary barriers and create a platform for marginalized voices, artists on the LGBTQA2S+ spectrum, non-binary artists, artists of colour, and artists with disabilities, are strongly encouraged to submit.
Submissions will be received up to 12:00pm (noon) on:
Friday August 16, 2019
- To apply to this Call for Artists you must be someone who creates art (including, but not limited to: painting, digitized art, visual poetry, mixed media, photography, drawing, printmaking, etc.)
- Artists must be able to drop off artwork at the community gallery at Steel & Oak and arrange for works to be picked up following the completion of the exhibition.
- The gallery at Steel & Oak does not charge exhibiting artists to display their works. We strongly encourage artists to provide their contact information for interested buyers. Steel & Oak will not deduct any percentage of the sales of artwork from the artist.
- Unfortunately, due to the size and nature of our gallery space, we are unable to accept any sculptures or installation art. Please only submit 2D, and/or ready wall-mounted 3D works.
- Attach to email images of your work titled in this format:
LAST NAME – FIRST NAME – TITLE OF WORK – DATE (.jpg format- 300 dpi)
- Proposals of exhibition must include whether the exhibition is solo, collaborative, or group. Any themes that the works explore must be included in the proposal. Proposals must indicate which term is preferred (Winter 2019 term is September 2019 – December 2019 and Spring 2020 term is January 2020 – April 2020). Exhibition proposals should be no more than 1 page in length.
- Proposed artwork must include: title, material(s), dimensions, and date. Should the work be for sale, kindly provide price amount.
- A short biography (100 words max)
- An artist statement that provides an introduction to your practice and artworks submitted (250-300 words max)
- A curriculum vitae (3 pages max)
- Selected artists are responsible for delivery of their works to and from the gallery at Steel & Oak. Artists have two weeks following the completion of the exhibition to pick up art works.
- Artwork must be ready to display (ready-mounted or framed)
- Artwork must be available to be displayed for the duration of 3-4 months, depending on the proposed exhibition length.
Note: should the application process be a barrier to any artists wishing to submit, kindly reach out to the arts Programmer Heather Prost at firstname.lastname@example.org
All submissions must be in pdf format and emailed to email@example.com by August 16th, 2019 at noon. Artists will be notified no later than August 16th if their exhibition proposal has been successful.
Should you have any questions regarding the gallery or your application, please direct them to the Arts Programmer, Heather Prost at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the community arts program at Steel & Oak you can see your blog post here.